HomeWest Africa

Port Harcourt based anti-gay blackmailer arrested by Nigeria police

Charles Henry Chukwuebuka, a Port Harcourt-based anti-gay blackmailer, has been arrested by the Nigeria police in Port Harcourt whilst trying to blackmail his latest victim.

From the African Human Rights Media Network

Charles Henry Chukwuebuka.

By Mike Daemon

Because of Nigeria’s anti-gay law, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender [LGBT] people are often blackmailed and violently attacked by criminals, who typically enjoy impunity from arrest.

The latest example occurred last Friday at Igwuruta in the Port Harcourt area.

The victim, Moses [not his real name], described the incident in a voice note on Whatsapp.

Narrating his ordeal, Moses said he was lured by Chukwuebuka with erotic messages after they connected and started chatting nicely on Whatsapp. At first, he said, he wasn’t interested in meeting Chukwuebuka, but eventually agreed after he persisted.

Chukwuebuka, who lives in Port Harcourt, goes by the name ‘Charles Henry Chukwuebuka‘ on Facebook and lures his unsuspecting victims via social media.

Moses said upon his arrival at Chukwuebuka’s place at about 11 p.m., he met Chukwuebuka and another young man. They demanded money from him and told him to hand over his phone. Moses refused. The two men then attacked him, smashed his phone and stole his money.

Moses screamed, which alerted the neighbors. Chukwuebuka told them that Moses was gay and that he had traveled all the way to have sex with him.

Unfortunately for him, he had no proof to support his claim. Chukwuebuka had been sending erotic messages to Moses and then had deleted them. Those conversation couldn’t be retrieved on Moses’s phone because it has been smashed.

Moses observed that the neighbours weren’t taking the matter very seriously, so he asked that they let him put his sim card into one of their phones so that he could alert his parents about what was going on.

He then used that phone to call friendly police officer whom he knew.  After a few minutes as they were still arguing, the police arrived, and Chukwuebuka was arrested and his friend fled the scene.

At the police station, Chukwuebuka was detained and was told to pay 25,000 naira [about $68]. Moses had to pay 12,000 naira [about $32] before he was allowed to go.

Moses’s phone was eventually repaired by Chukwuebuka’s family who came to bail him out from jail but, according to Moses, the police threatened Chukwuebuka with a month in jail.

As at the time of writing this report, Chukwuebuka is still in police custody.